Monday, August 8, 2011

twas the night before my baptism

Twas the night before my baptism and all was calm in the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse

A change of clothes were folded neatly with care
Placed in my bag knowing the baptism would soon be there

What is it that I see from the corner of my eye?
Something with wings darting through the evening sky  

It burst on the scene with no noise and no clatter
And I rose from my seat to see what was the matter

Too big for a butterfly, too small for a bird
What was this thing flying through my home unheard?

Could it really be?
A bat that I see?

It rose from my belly, an earth shattering scream
As I fled from the scene no shoes on my feet

I drove down the street in search of new digs for the night
While I reflected on my evening’s plight

Eventually darkness giving way to the morning light
 
The noise clapped through the sky in the new morning’s dew
Is that a thunderstorm I hear?
While a basset hound snored in my ear

Removing a paw from my face
I watched from the window as the raindrops picked up their pace

I peered at the wet ground soaked from the mornings wake
Wondering if I was going be dunked in the lake

I unlocked the front door and tiptoed inside
When suddenly sunlight ripped through the clouds like a tide

Stillness awaited me while my winged intruder settled in for its daytime nap
And I managed to capture it in a butterfly net.

I got myself good and prayed up before I went home Sunday morning, and unfortunately I had to miss church because I was a little busy bat hunting, but it turned out to be a beautiful day and about 60 of us were baptized yesterday.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite an experience! Glad the intruder was caught. How awesome that you were baptized yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness! I love the way you wrote this, I laughed and laughed! Though when I recently saw a bat, I was screaming too! :)

    How incredible that you, and so many others, were baptized! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this poem Kandi, so cute :) I was thinking of the little owls at the house we rented in Florida... they nested in the ledge above the front door and I'd find them peeking into different windows into the house. I guess they were curious about what we were doing anyway... I'd always feel like someone was watching me!

    Praising the Lord for your baptism!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that just like the devil to try and distract you before a miraculous day! I pray the power of your baptism stays engraved on your heart forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kandi - I knew when I read the title I'd be chuckling. The other day I wiped behind the toaster and grabbed a bat, urgh!!! Looking at it closely makes all those ugly dracula movies seem so real! I digress - I'm so glad to hear of your baptism. Amen!!!
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the smile Kandi... Such a fun image you painted!

    Congratulations on your Baptism! I pray that the Grace of Our Lord stays anchored to your heart always!

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kandi! First, congrats on the baptism! Your cute story reminded me of the night a bat flew into our bedroom. I ran out of the room and left my husband alone to take care of it!! It scared the heck out of me! Thank you for the smile. :)

    ReplyDelete