Wednesday, December 14, 2011

two plans

A man’s heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.  Proverbs 16:9

I had a plan
A good plan

A solid plan

A practical plan
An attainable plan

My plan was normal and it was reasonable, I liked my plan it was safe and made sense to me, God’s plan did not, it defied my normal reasoning power of logic challenged my sensibilities and threatened my comfort zone.
We will see more and more that we are chosen not because of our ability, but because of the Lord’s power, which will be demonstrated in our not being able.  Corrie Ten Boom.

It was planted as a tiny seed many years ago, God’s plan that is, and at one time I thought that was the direction I was headed in, the pieces falling into place and I felt the wondrous excitement like watching the first snow fall of the season, the first tulip born in spring or the first warm summer morning spent on my patio in quiet time, I could see the future  dawning through the new season and God’s plan coming full circle, I nurtured the plan and held it like precious cargo in the palm of my hand.
I never did see that plan come to fruition, real life found me instead and that tiny seed was buried under the first snow fall of the season, washed away with the spring rains and burned off under the heat of the summer sun and it looked like nothing more than a fanciful notion of an overactive imagination, clearly I misunderstood, and I started weaving together my solid.practical.attainable plan, I liked my plan, I nurtured my plan and held it like precious cargo in the palm of my hand, I liked my plan better anyway it was reasonable and made sense to me.

It was an ordinary day looking not much different from the ones that preceded it, when the soil of the little pot where that tiny seed was planted many years ago became unsettled and blooms began to push through the black earth that kept that tiny seed covered and protected.
Oh c’mon!!

I have often mused that I have the amazing ability to get lost in my own driveway, and that is exactly where I was, turned around and lost in my own driveway, I was facing south driving north and ended up somewhere in the east. I started to resemble one part Scooby-Doo running in 5 different directions at the same time and one part Deputy Dog in his deep dopey voice “which way do I go, which way do I go.”
I searched the secret chambers, those chambers we keep hidden away and never speak of what lay beyond their dusty doors because they are not practical or reasonable but rather colored in all shades of ridiculous to the human eye. The chamber where I filed away the plan I clearly misunderstood in the filing cabinet of “dreams I thunk up on my own.”

And those who heard it said, “Who then can be saved?’ But He said, “The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.” Luke 18:26-27.
So I stop

Stop and listen for His voice
Stop and listen to the scriptures I am reading

Stop and step back and listen to the words He is speaking around me
I am still seeking, still wondering still questioning, still really not knowing if I heard Him right or if I am just grasping at straws.

So it is one step one tiny little step one day at a time as I feel around for His hand on my shoulder guiding me in the way I should go.
We may not understand God’s plan, but He does.  Seek Him first and trust His answer, even when it is mired in every conceivable color of “that doesn’t make sense.”

“So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11
I am linking up with Tracy for Winsome Wednesday.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful words, once again, Kandi. God's ways certainly are not our ways, and His timing - well, that only seems to make sense to Him. He, who sees the future, knows the proper time for His plans to unfold. So we keep trusting, keep waiting, with eyes looking up.

    Many blessings, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kandi, I so relate to your post. We plan but God always has a plan too. I would much rather follow His plan because His plans are to prosper me not harm me, to give me a hope and a future. Beautiful words my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kandi, you have such a beautiful writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh His ways are not our ways...my blog today is in the same vein...He calls come...we need to let Him lead...
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written Kandi. :) We do have to wait for His hand on our shoulder because He is always by our side, encouraging us and giving us strength as long as we communicate to Him through worship and prayer. He leads us to where we are supposed to be, and He is going to be with us every step of the way. As I look ahead and wonder about the future, I have hope in all things, because I know this single truth: God Himself planned it long ago! :)

    Blessings and love Kandi!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kandi - isn't it scary how God only shows us the next step. Scary and exciting as it teaches us to trust Him. I suppose if He showed us more we may be inclined to try to up end things. Lovely post and beautifully written. Thanks for linking up, I look forward to seeing you there every week :)
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words are beautiful, Kandi. I couldn't help but smile as I read about you having a "plan". I had one of those too. Amazing how God comes along and interrupts our carefully drawn out courses.

    ReplyDelete